Pages

Monday 28 May 2012

Before Life or After Life ?

By BP ~

Here's one for the critical thinkers. I swear I'll tie in religion at the end.

Dead=Not Alive; Therefore, Afterlife=Beforelife.

Soap bubble
Soap bubble (Photo credit: Raphael Quinet)
In words now: I was not alive before I was alive and I'll be not alive
after my death. So how can before life and after life be any
different?

See I don't remember the before life b/c I did not have a brain then.
I could not carry around this collection of data that we call memories
in life. Nor would I have any need for them. They do not apply. How
long was I not alive before I was alive? An hour, a day, an eternity?
As far as I can remember it was an instant and an eternity all in one.
There is no use for time when one is not alive. It is being alive that
confines us to this space time continuum. A little like being trapped
I guess. Separated from the truth that perhaps we once knew. When we
were not alive.

I like to think of being alive as not too much unlike a bubble. All
the necessary ingredients for the bubble were always there. However it
takes some sort of outside input for the bubble to exist. The
ingredients have to be combined in just the right way. Our body is
like the shell that makes the bubble visible. Allows the bubble to
exist. The way we understand it. The inside of the bubble would be
like the soul I guess, or whatever it is that life is made of. Once
the bubble is gone all the ingredients still remain. Maybe to be used
in another bubble; maybe to be used on something completely different.
I don't know. No one does. There is no proof for any theory. What I do
know is that it's putting something out of place that makes the
bubble. Think of air in water. The bubble fighting to get to the top.
Think of a soap bubble just floating around ever so delicate. Much
more wanting to pop than to remain a bubble. Everything is trying to
reach equilibrium again. That's why the bubble pops and that's why we
die. Being alive is not our natural state of being.

Well if that is true, and I can honestly say now that being NOT alive
was not so bad, then what's so scary about being not alive again? Only
the the physical act of dying? If one can accept that then there is
nothing else to do, but to see our current state (being alive) as
something like a journey. A vacation of sorts. A vacation from being
not alive. So enjoy. We all know vacations don't last very long and
for some reason when we are on them all we can think of is how we will
eventually have to go back home.

Religions make us comfortable with this eventually having to go back
thing. But you don't need 'em. It's like going to the beach on
vacation just to see a psychologist for a week to try to deal with the
thought of going back to work. It just doesn't make any sense. Enjoy
life! Accept not knowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment